Other Castles & Palaces
Burg Adenbach in Ahrweiler was originally a renaissance site. In 1903 it was altered in line with the historicist movement and is now used as a vineyard as well as a hotel and restaurant with a cultivated atmosphere reminiscent of the Middle Ages. Cellar tours and wine-tasting are available for groups.
Already in 1399 Burg Adenbach was the main residence of the Knights Order of Colve von Ahrweiler. During renovation work at the start of the 20th century the owner at the time restored the east tower with its tower battlements to a castle-like appearance, which was again taken into account during refurbishment in 1991 when it was converted into a hotel with a restaurant.
Burg Adenbach Hotel Restaurant
53474 Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
The remains of Burg Are, which is also known as Ahrburg, rise high above the Ahrtal. Its castle keep was often used a prison for political opponents.
The castle stands on a hill with jagged cliffs, whose eastern and southern sides rise steeply. It is the ancestral seat of the Counts of Are and was built during the first half of the 12th century by Theoderich von Are, came under the ownership of the Electors of Cologne in the 13th century and was extended many times in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Its castle keep was used as a prison for political opponents and is the setting for true and imaginary stories of escape adventures. In the 18th century the occupation of the castle became a menace so that it was blown up in 1714.
The foundations of the castle are in the shape of a square. On the south side is the old gate tower and adjacent to this the palace. The old hill cemetery was probably located on the peaked brow of the cliff in the northern corner; to the north there are extensive remains of the square, three-bay castle chapel from the 12th/13th century.
Förderkreis Burgruine Are
Tel.: +49 2643 7967
The changing times are reflected in the history of Burg Heimerzheim: Mentioned for the first time at the end of the 13th century, it was built by the lords of Heimerzheim as a well-fortified moated castle. In the Baroque era the castle was converted into a residence. Today the moated castle is rented out by the family of the Baron von Boeselager as a conference and event location.
The main castle
The site consists of a main castle and lower castle, with both parts of the castle based on a separate island, linked to each other by a bridge. The prestigious rooms of the main castle are hired out for celebrations as well as for sophisticated business events.
The lower castle and castle pavilion
Next to the large ballroom in the lower castle are seven exclusive apartments providing overnight accommodation for visitors. The castle pavilion is a conference venue equipped with conference technology.
Kölner Str. 1
Tel.: +49 22 54 836053 -14
The old customs castle and fortress dates back to 1365 and was built by the Archbishop of Cologne, Engelbert von der Mark. After an eventful history, the castle has been under private ownership since 1985. The castle in the heart of the town of Linz on the Rhine is once again a major tourist attraction after undergoing extensive refurbishment.
Today visitors will find catering from the Middle Ages in the Great Knights' Hall, in the tower room and in the inner castle as well as a museum in the dungeon and a Roman glass works.
53545 Linz am Rhein
Telephone: +49 2644 7021
Burg Lede in Bonn-Vilich, the oldest part of Bonn, is a real gem. The origins of the site go back to the 14th century. What makes Burg Lede particularly charming is that the von Loë family lives in the castle.
The personal atmosphere of the castle with its salons, the library, the castle kitchen and the small courtyard create an unusual ambiance for events ranging from weddings, official business events to a private cookery course with friends. A limited number of register office weddings are permitted at the castle.
The grounds with groups of trees that are hundreds of years old, generous lawns with hidden clearings, enchanted terraces, historic walls and modern art in the Peristyle sculpture gallery offer a fascinating backdrop.
In the castle cellar the wine shop run by Ferdinand Freiherr von Loë stores his personally selected wines from Italian, French and German vineyards. Depending on the number of people attending, the wine tastings are held in the various rooms of the castle, which Ferdinand von Loë is able to celebrate with the knowledge of a connoisseur; they are amusing and informal.
An der Burg Lede 1
Telephone: +49(0)228 97463740
A few kilometres to the west of Bonn lies Schloss Miel in the community of Swisttal-Miel.
The current palace appears for the first time in the history books as Miel castle in 1218. The building was almost completely destroyed in a fire in 1735. The owner at that time Caspar Anton, Freiherr von der Heyden, known as Belderbusch, arranged for a new building to be constructed, which was started in 1772.
The palace has been under the private ownership of a Bonn family since 1991 and has since been extensively refurbished in the late Baroque style. This also applies to the grounds of the Baroque garden.
The current Baroque palace is reminiscent from an architectural perspective of a hunting lodge in the style of Louis XIV and was built in only four years. The palace's garden room is particularly worth seeing, which is decorated with murals that are still in their original condition. Anyone who wishes to delve deeper into the history of the palace, has the opportunity to do so on a guided tour.
After visiting the palace, the Graf Belderbusch restaurant is an inviting place to linger for a while.
Tel.: +49 2226 10050
The second moated castle can be reached over an arched bridge and probably originates from a fortified courtyard of the 9th century. In the 12th and 13th century the forerunners of the current castle belonged to the country manor on the Swist. The current manor made of rendered bricks originates from the 17th century and the unrendered outbuildings from the 19th century. The Baroque grounds were landscaped in the 18th century.
The moated castle is under private ownership and can be visited in groups with a minimum of 10 people.
The foundations of the Overbach site go back to the early 12th century. The former castle became a moated castle in 1131 under the nobleman Eberhard von Afferath and is one of the oldest manors established during the Staufer period in the Oberberg region. The main building suffered major damage at the end of the 16th century and was rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th century. Only the main building remains. The moats have been partly filled in.
Since 1984 the Golfclub Burg Overbach e. V. has owned the site and has opened an 18-hole championship golf course there.
Golfclub Burg Overbach e. V.
Postfach 12 13
Tel.: +49 2245 5550
An idyllic position in grounds with a game reserve and playground are home to Burg Wissem, which houses Europe's most important collection of picture books.
As well as historical literature for children and young people from 1498 to the present day, the exhibition presents a comprehensive collection of original picture book illustrations.
The museum came into being in 1982, when the businessman from Troisdorf Wilhelm Alsleben donated his collection of over 300 historic picture books with original illustrations and numerous litho stones, woodcut blocks and several thousand modern picture books.
The museum has since been systematically extended through purchases and donations. In addition to its own collections, it now displays an interesting programme of temporary exhibitions.
Tel.: +49 2241 900456
At the end of the 12th century the Löwenburg was built as a border fortification by Count von Sayn against Berg and the Cologne castles of the Siebengebirge (Drachenfels and Wolkenburg). It was first mentioned in documents in 1247. Ownership was passed to the Löwenburg family through marriage; after the death of the latter in 1362, the von Heinsbergs became the owners of the castle.
The upper castle has been a ruin since the 16th century. The long lower castle on the hill side has been completely destroyed apart from a few remains. The cistern in the castle yard and two side walls of the former castle keep of the upper castle remain intact. Most of the surrounding bailey has been destroyed but the bailey walls with the two half towers remain almost in their entirety. The castle ruins are easy to access and offer walks with enchanting views over the Rhine towards Cologne and the Eifel.
Löwenburger Hof GmbH
Löwenburger Straße 30
Tel.: +49 2223 24446
Burg Windeck was once an extended castle site, whose dimensions can still be guessed from the current ruins.
The previous imposing castle was first mentioned in 1174 as New-Windeck. The site was a border fortification of the Count von Berg against the Counts von Sayn (Homberg) and the von Blankenbergs. It was extended a great deal after 1435. Burg Windeck was destroyed during the 30 Years War and in 1672 by the French and was not rebuilt.
It has since been used for its stone. In 1960 the restoration of the ruin began, the palace wall was re-built and the castle keep was secured. Archaeological investigations and preservation work were carried out in the 1980s. Foundations came to light, which made the extraordinary size of the castle visible.
An der Burgruine
51570 Windeck (Sieg)
Widely visible, the medieval city of Blankenberg soars majestically on a rock peak high above the Sieg river. A trip to this city is almost like a journey to another age. The ruins and gate towers give a glimpse of the wealth of the old days. The counts of Sayn chose a magnificent spot to build their castle (1150-1180). The fortifications on the bare and woodless hill made it possible for the castle lords to control the access ways to the Sieg valley, the Bergisches Land, the Westerwald and the Siebengebirge.
53773 Hennef (Sieg)
Not much of Saffenburg high above the Ahrtal is left, but there are spectacular views from the ruin over the surrounding vineyards.
Saffenburg is considered to be one of the oldest castles on the river Ahr. An Adalbert de Saffenberg was already mentioned in documents in 1074. Later ownership passed to the House von der Mark through marriage, and in 1784 to the aristocratic von Arenberg family. It remained intact until 1704, but was then destroyed at the request of the local people. The castle ruins are easy to reach and are a destination for a walk through the vineyards.
53474 Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
Telephone: 0178 4934254
The Rheinbacher Burg was built in the second half of the 12th century by the knights and noblemen of Rheinbach. The castle appeared as a high-walled fortification with several towers, which were surrounded by a water-filled castle moat.
In 1673 the town was destroyed by the troops of the Prince of Orange. Only the witches' tower remains of the castle now, which can be viewed. The former castle keep is a sturdy four-storey circular tower made of quarry stone. It has a diameter of nine metres and a height of 34.5 metres. The room on the lowest floor was probably used as a prison during the witch hunt years (1631-1636). In the interior of the tower there are some internal flushing systems on the ground floor, a wall fireplace on the third floor and an opening in the wall to the battlement parapet of the former city wall.
The origins of the palace go back to the 12th century. After it was destroyed many times and each time rebuilt provisionally, in 1721 the castle site was converted into a Baroque palace. The two-floor manor flanked by towers was largely based on the style of the previous buildings, but a lower castle with wings was added. The office of the Elector of Cologne's hereditary Marshall has been associated with Schloss Alfter since 1188. In 1445 the site came under the ownership of the Count and later Elector zu Salm-Reifferscheidt-Dyck.
Schloss Auel is a charming Baroque site, which lies in the middle of large grounds with beautiful water lily ponds. Aristocratic families have owned Schloss Auel for centuries. The former moated castle (with Baroque chapel) was first mentioned in documents in 1391, but was still under the ownership of a family from Auel at that time. In 1763 the main building was constructed on the older foundations. Today only the three-winged manor is still standing, the outbuildings were torn down and the moats filled in.
For more than 200 years the palace has been owned by the Barons von la Valette. Nowadays the palace with its hotel and restaurant is somewhere to spend time and a golf course has been built in its grounds. Weddings and christenings take place in the palace chapel.
Hotel Schloss Auel
Haus Auel 1
Telephone: +49 22 06 60 03-0
The so-called Schloß Merten is a building belonging to a former Augustine monastery, which was founded by the neighbouring castle.
It is likely that the monastery was donated by Countess Mathilde von Sayn and was first mentioned in a document by Otto von Kappenstein and his wife Kunigunde in 1217.
The overall site also includes a small neo-Baroque palace, known as the orangery, which the Counts Droste zu Vischering von Nesselrode-Reichenstein had built around 1909 after acquiring the monastery buildings.
The overall site now houses a home for the elderly and a care home.
The grounds with the palace garden and the cafeteria in the orangery are open to the general public.
Tel.: +49 2243 890
Schlosshotel Kommende Ramersdorf
Centrally located in the heart of Europe, in the Federal city of Bonn very close to the former Government Quarter, you will find Schlosshotel Kommende Ramersdorf, one of the most historical palaces in the region.
It was established in 1230 as one of the over 300 commanderies of the Teutonic Knights following the crusades. The knight of Löwenburg also had his residence here before secularisation.
The unique atmosphere of the building, the lavish architecture, the harmony of the site as well as its history stretching back over 700 years attract visitors time and again.
Oberkasseler Straße 10
Tel.: +49 228 -440734
The foundations of Adendorf castle go back to the first building of 1337. All that is left of this building are the foundation walls and the four corner towers. The main castle's two-storey building with its four corner towers was extended between 1655 and 1670. The horseshoe-shaped outbuildings with two defensive towers form the lower castle. It was originally separated from the main castle by a wide moat.
A twin outside staircase now links the buildings to each other and leads through a gatehouse into a square internal courtyard with Renaissance facades. Concerts are held here in the summer. The coat of arms of the lords von der Leyen, the original owners of Burg Adendorf in the 16th century, can be seen in the main portal of the manor house. The manor is now owned by Baron Georg Freiherr von Loe, whose ancestors had become the owners of the castle in 1815.
The castle is available for groups to view by prior arrangement. The well-known outing takes place at Burg Adendorf over the weekend after Ascension Day.
Georg Freiherr von Loë
Tel. 02225 2681
Fax: 02225 12616
The imposing two-part moated castle is the largest castle in the municipality of Wachtberg. Its grounds are a special feature, as they are the only Baroque garden under private ownership in the Rhineland.
The moated castle of Wasserburg Gudenau stands in a flood plain at the foot of Villip, at the confluence of the Godesberg and Arzdorf streams. Built in the early 13th century, the main castle with four wings was extended in about 1560 with extensive grounds to the rear. Additions were made here such as bays and curved roofs. In the 17th century the remarkable gardens were created under an Italian influence. A second lower castle with its imposing five-storey gate tower, a slate hipped roof and an eight-sided clock tower feature on the visible side of the castle. The main castle also possesses a Gothic bay and a round corner tower with a pointed slate dome, whilst the remaining three corner towers have Baroque domes.
The castle is under private ownership.
Tel: +49 228 / 9544 100 und 139
Burg Lüftelberg is first mentioned in old documents in 1260. In the 15th century it was extended into a castle with four round towers and surrounded by a moat. The castle obtained its current appearance as of 1730.
The court architect Johann Heinrich Roth constructed a Baroque building with high double pitched roofs and a beautiful portal, but used the available walls and integrated three of the four older round towers. The central room of the manor house with its two wings is the garden room with paintings by Grisaille, which was richly decorated as a ballroom. High windows create a link to the landscaped garden and the garden theme is continued in the hall itself with noteworthy murals and stucco work.
The castle is available for groups to view. Register office weddings are also possible.
The castle house from the 16th century is now used as a restaurant after it was lovingly restored.
The main residential part of the location was Wasserburg Mauel, a so-called fixed house, surrounded by moats. It was mentioned for the first time in the second half of the 16th century. The castle originally had square foundations, which were later extended to the west. Like almost all the fixed houses in the Windeck area, it was built using the quarried rubblestone that can be found in abundance here.
Today the Mauel castle house has been lovingly restored in the appropriate style and houses a wine tavern and a beer garden.
Tel.: +49 22 92 65 40
In 1230 Müttinghoven castle was passed as an aristocratic estate to Johannes von Löwenburg from Heisterbach abbey and often changed hands over the next five centuries.
The castle was originally surrounded by water with four wings. The residential accommodation is composed of a two-storey, seven-axis structure with a central entrance, an external staircase in rubblestone and a double pitch roof. The current owner is Baron Raitz von Frenz from Münster.