The foundation stone of the Baroque Poppelsdorfer Palace was laid in 1715 over the remains of a castle that was destroyed in 1583 under the Prince Elector of Cologne of the time called Joseph Clemens. It was completed only in 1753 by his successor Clemens August, who had instructed the famous master builder Balthasar Neumann with its construction. At the site of the old waterside palace, an extensive building was established, which surrounds a circular arcade courtyard with a square of four wings. In 1818 both the palace and the adjacent grounds were acquired by the newly founded University of Bonn (Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn) and has since housed its natural sciences collections. The Mineralogical-Petrological Museum is accommodated here with an important collection. The adjacent palace grounds were developed into a
Botanical Garden and are now one of the oldest gardens in the world with a rich variety of species. The annual
Poppeldorfer palace concerts particularly appeal to lovers of classical music. These performances take place here on summer evenings in front of the illuminated backdrop of the Baroque palace.